A lot can happen in one day! All of us wear many hats, and oftentimes, we are not even conscious of how fast we switch wearing them. Sometimes we forget what happened when wearing a particular hat because it has become so routine. When we don’t pay attention we can lose perspective.
In Challenge 14 you will consciously slow your day down by documenting your professional and, if you feel comfortable, your personal life for your blog readers. This challenge gives you the opportunity to experiment with various media to share about your day.
- Snap a photo every hour, from the moment you wake up until you go to sleep. Add captions to each image to let your readers know what time it was and what was going on using an annotexting tool.
- Take as many images during the day as you wish. Pick the best photos that give your readers a full sense of a typical, or maybe not so typical, day in your life.
- Create a photo collage (similar to a comic strip with panels) about your day and add speech bubbles to give your readers an explanation about what the are seeing. Two photo collage apps you may be interested in using are PicCollage and ComicLife.
- Create an infographic or graphic using Piktochart or Canva to create a timeline or visual that represents the percentage of time you spent on specific tasks or responsibilities throughout your day.
- Record a sequential series of one-second video clips throughout your day. Connect each video clip in chronological order to create one flowing movie that highlights your day’s activities. You may want to try using the One Second Everyday app or your favorite movie-making app or tool.
- Record video clips of strategic moments throughout your day and add your voice in post-production explaining what your viewers are observing as they watch the segments in chronological order.
- Record a “soundseeing” tour of your day. Record your voice and narrate what you are seeing or experiencing and what it means to you, knowing that listeners will not have a visual perspective. You can use audio apps, such as Audio Memos or Voice Memos your iPhone.
- Ask someone else to help you record a podcast episode and interview you sharing about the most important parts of your personal and professional day.
- Write a narrative story about your day in first or third person in the body of your blog post.
- Have fun by writing about your day from the perspective of your service animal, one or more pair of shoes, cell phone, or any object that is with you throughout your day.
Follow these steps to complete this challenge:
- Create the mixed media needed for your blog post.
- Write a new blog post: a) embed your mixed media appropriately, and b) include the text in whatever format you have chosen to use to explain your day to your readers.
- Title, save, and publish your post. (Note: you can use a simplistic or creative title, such as: A Day in the Life of Cassondra Ryan, or A Day in the Life of a Mom, Teacher, Taxi Driver, and Dreamer.)
After you have completed your challenge to create your A Day in the Life blog post, please include the URL link to your post with embedded media in the Leave a Reply comment section below to share with us and your documenting community. Check back regularly to see what others have posted!
Added Amplification: Tweet out or share on Instagram the link to your A Day in the Life blog post. Be sure to include the hashtags #documenting4learning, #adayinthelife, and #DLBloggingChallenge14.
Here are some examples to get you thinking about what you might like to do for your blog post:
- A Day in the Life of a 21st Century Learning Specialist (includes a visual)
- What Does it Mean to be an Technology Integration Facilitator (includes a photo, visuals, and outline of the day)
- A Day in the Life of a High School English Teacher (includes a timeline of the day)
- A Day in the Life of a Connected Educator – Using social media in 21st century classrooms (includes an infographic)
- A Day in the Life – Museum Educator (done as a narrative video)
- A Day in the Life of a Homeschool Mom (includes photos and timeline of the day)
- A Day in the Life (of a Mommy) (an updated post connected to previously written “Day in the Life” blog post highlighting changes in her life, includes photos and timeline of her current life’s day)